Monday, August 20, 2012

2012 August Biloxi WSOPC Trip

Along U.S. Hwy 90 on the coast.

So, I went to Biloxi, Mississippi last week to play some Omaha Hi/Lo (O8).  I'd heard the Beau Rivage had it running daily and since the WSOP-C was at the IP, I figured they would also have O8 cash games running.

Wrong.  What a waste of a trip.  So much so that I left a day early. 

I went to the IP first, to check on the parking and walking situation.  Signed up for my players card and strolled over to the poker room only to find out they didn't have any O8 running.  So, I left and went to the Beau Rivage.  The walk from my car to the poker room was unbelievably long.  When I got to the desk, I was told they had O8 running earlier but it only lasted an hour.  Frustrated, I went back to settle into my awful motel room. 

The room smelled.  I don't know of what, but maybe a combination of dog urine and mold.  I hadn't planned on being in the room much but I might be, after all.  Fortunately, it wasn't an overwhelming odor, but on night one I was already looking forward to leaving.

The next day, I went to the IP to play in the WSOP-C FLO8 tournament.  I didn't have any investors for this one because I had only just decided to compete.  The whole $250 was on me.  When I registered 15 minutes before the start, there were 13 people registered.  Ugh.  Late registration lasted two hours and we ended up with 55 total players.  After four hours of mostly run-bad, I left in 33rd place.


View of bay from IP parking garage.

I'm lucky my first live tournament experience was in Tunica at the Gold Strike.  It was such a positive experience that I will continue to play live poker when I can.  If the Biloxi experience had been my first, I would have just quit, I think.  I can't quite put my finger on what was so different.  I liked the people in Tunica better - the fish and the grinders.

The day after the tournament, I called the poker rooms to see if anyone had O8 running.  No one did.  There was sledge hammer work going on outside and it was impossible to relax, so I packed my bags and left.  I also cancelled my motel reservation for the following week's Gulf Coast Poker Championship.  My next trip will be back to Tunica, where I know for sure they run O8 on weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment